Today I am thankful for my job and my students. We had conferences tonight and most of them were a celebration of how wonderful the students I have are.
I am lucky because my students are differently abled. Yes, each day is a challenge. Yes, it takes much more time for my students to master what a typical kid can do. But, I love it. I feel SO blessed that God had this job in His plan for me. I never expected to do special education...and for right now..I just love it.
The other night, a past student of mine from my first year at Johnston popped in. He just wanted to say "hello". "I was just looking at the book fair and thought it would be nice and you would like it if I came into your room to say hello" (in his very matter of fact voice). Seeing the way he bloomed over the past two years is another reminder of the wonderful job I have as an educator and the power I have to change a child's life. That's kind scary....
Here are some triumphs in my classroom and some of my top fav's of all time:
*One of my students started in my room with only the word "no". He left using conversational communication...I cried the day he came in and talked to me. It was like a light just went off! Its a moment I will never, ever forget.
*Last week, we sat through a whole story at group time! YAY! This is huge!
*Using a picture (because a child has no communication skills) to communicate to me what they want and need
*Eye contact with a smile like they just realized I was there after all this time :)
*There is so much much more!
No comments:
Post a Comment